If you want to make soup with homemade stock, here is how to do it in one day with time before and after work. It will last you many days, so it is worth your time.
Homemade Chicken Stock
1 whole chicken
1 onion chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
3 carrots chopped
Water to the brim
1. Throw everything in a crockpot on high for 9 hours.
2. When you get home, turn it off and let cool. Once cool, remove the chicken and place in a bowl.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
4 carrots diced
3 stalks celery diced
2 large heirloom tomatoes chopped
1 tbsp. rosemary dried or fresh
1 tbsp. dried oregano
Meat of the chicken
4 cooked italian sausages sliced
1 cup cooked cannellini beans
Large handful fresh basil leaves chopped
Parmesan (sheep or cow)
1. Saute onion for about 8-10 minutes. Then add garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes. Mix periodically with a wooden spoon for about 5-8 minutes.
2. Transfer broth from the crockpot to the soup pot by adding a steaming tray or other filtering means.
3. Add rosemary and oregano. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and add chicken, sausage and cannellini beans.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour in each bowl, add fresh basil and parmesan