- 1 TB olive oil, butter or coconut oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 red bell peppers seeded and diced
- 4 onions diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- One 28 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- Two 6 oz cans tomato paste
- Two 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15oz can refried beans
- One 4 oz can diced green Ortega chiles
- One 4 oz can diced jalepeno peppers (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot. Add turkey, bell peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne and bay leaves; cook stirring occasionally until the turkey is browned and vegetables softened.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, the beans, chilies and jalepenos; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring as needed, until the flavors are well blended, about 45-60 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro and grated cheese.