In a soup pot, melt 1-1/2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil and add:
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
Cook until vegetables become limp. Note: for a speedier prep of the above veggies, you may roughly chop the carrot, celery and onion and dice them together in the Cuisinart.
Add to the pot and cook 15 minutes:
2 quarts vegetable or chicken stocks (add 2 now, and check for thickness as you go along. Add as much stock as you like to your preference for thickness).
- 1 tsp. dry basil, rubbed between your hands over a soup pot
- 2 red or Yukon gold potatoes, skin on, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced, or a small can of organic diced tomatoes
Add to the pot and cook 10 minutes:
- ½ head small cauliflower, broken into bite-sized pieces
- Or add some sliced green cabbage
- Add 2 zucchini sliced, or cubed, and cook 4 minutes
- At this point, be creative and add something leafy like Swiss chard, spinach or finely chopped cabbage, if you have not used it in the last step, and cook an additional few minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you plan to reheat this soup over a few days, reheat only the amount you will eat immediately so the rest of the soup retains its flavor and texture. Freezing will change its texture.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.